27.4.12

Uncertainty in the Tomorrow

Yes, when you exist as a living person with a closed form of conscious perception, of course there is complete uncertainty in what happens after death. But what makes “death” so special? There is already complete uncertainty in what happens tomorrow (let alone death)! And obviously I don’t just mean there is uncertainty in what I might do tomorrow, who I might talk to, what I might eat, what might happen in my future, etc. (that would be a retarded discovery, wouldn’t it?) What I mean is, how do I know I’m going to wake up and perceive reality the same way I think I’ve always done through out my life? How would I know if I’m perceiving the world completely differently tomorrow if my perception in that way would by nature not allow me to be able to think about or experience in any way whatsoever “the way I perceive reality today”?

Well, I wouldn’t. That’s the whole point. The same way every child probably wonders how many times they have already died or lived, over and over again, how would you know? The trick is just that your memory gets reset every single time. But why? Why so arbitrary? Well, why not? How can you not be arbitrary? What is arbitrary? Well, why should anything have a reason to it? Isn’t that just the most arbitrary thing of all?

How should I know that yesterday and my whole life before I wasn’t living in a 2-dimensional world, but all of a sudden (quite arbitrarily), I woke up this morning, today, and I suddenly started perceiving the world in three dimensions? My brain would have been reset, so that everything of course makes sense, but that doesn’t mean it had to have made sense yesterday or tomorrow. Time always makes things strange like that. I’m not just talking about the problem of induction applied to physical things and the perception of them - whether or not the sun will still rise tomorrow (despite its rising for the duration of earth’s existence, or what I think is that anyways) is a lower order (i.e. less meta, haha) question than whether I will be perceiving the sun rising and everything in reality the same way I am today.

And there is definitely no reason why I should be arbitrarily choosing a “day” as my time frame for extraordinary changes in perception of, or simply, reality. I could say hour, minute, second, or whatever, but as you know, those are all arbitrary measurements of time anyways (don’t try and argue with me about the sun and Egyptians and all that non-metaphysical stuff that’s not what I’m talking about), and as far as I know, there isn’t an infinitesimal “smallest increment” of time (well, maybe in quantum mechanics, but QM has a lot to do with consciousness and conscious perception, so it gives us loops and stuff, and we’re not going to look into that too much at this point, but would be worthy in the future), so I may as well be just perceiving reality in wildly different ways throughout every nanosecond, every day, my life, my death, none of which were or will be the same. There would be no “constant” fixed way of perception of reality, it’s always changing, always will be changing anyways, but I wouldn’t know.

“I wouldn’t know.” That’s just always the answer, isn’t it? Well yeah, I think it would be problematic if it weren’t. “I think”? Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment